The United States is preparing to impose unprecedented economic measures on Iran as early as next week, according to Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, escalating pressure on Tehran amid stalled negotiations and ongoing regional conflicts. The announcement follows the expiration of a 60-day window for a final nuclear deal, which both sides failed to meet.
Key developments:
- President Donald Trump declared on Friday that Washington would introduce economic measures against Iran that have never been seen before, with Bessent confirming the timeline in a recent interview.
- The 60-day negotiation period for a final nuclear agreement expired Monday without a deal, marking the collapse of an interim pact that had aimed to resolve disputes over control of the Strait of Hormuz.
Escalation in economic pressure
The Trump administration has framed the new measures as part of a broader strategy to constrain Iran’s financial capabilities, with a Treasury spokesperson stating that economic restrictions have left the regime desperate for cash. The measures are expected to target Iran’s ability to generate and move revenue, though specific details have not been disclosed.
Regional and economic fallout
The standoff over the Strait of Hormuz—through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes—has heightened global energy concerns. Iran has previously closed the strait in response to military and economic pressures, further disrupting trade flows. The conflict, which began with U.S. and Israeli attacks on February 28, has already damaged Iran’s infrastructure, disrupted trade, and strained its economy.
Domestic impact in Iran
Ordinary Iranians and officials describe growing economic hardship, with projects stalled, costs rising, and unemployment spreading. Arshia, a civil engineer from Isfahan, told Reuters that the war has brought construction projects to a standstill, leaving him and others struggling to find work. “I don’t want my country to be punished militarily or economically,” he said. “We’re already struggling.”
Diplomatic deadlock
The collapse of the 60-day negotiation window follows a dispute over control of the Strait of Hormuz. Trump declared the interim agreement “over” on July 7, and Iran later confirmed its suspension. Despite the breakdown, Trump has indicated a direct backchannel with officials from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, though no further details have been provided.
Uncertain path forward
Analysts suggest the new economic measures could either force Iran to the negotiating table or escalate tensions further. The administration’s approach prioritizes financial pressure over military action, but the long-term effects on Iran’s stability and global energy markets remain unclear.